Okay, I will admit that this one had me stumped for a while. I wasn't sure what I was going to do for the Tim Holtz's Tattered Floral challenge. I love this die and I have used it many, many times. Usually, I cut out paper and then dry emboss the petals to make a dimensional flower; but for this challenge, I wanted to do something out of my comfort zone. The thing about doing something outside your comfort zone is that you can't really decided if you can pull it off or not.
Finally, I settled on this idea. I wanted to make a floral crown. Something that could be used as a ballet or Halloween costume accessory. I wanted to use cheap items from the dollar store or the craft store $1.50 bins so that if I crashed and burned, I would not have wasted too much money. Plus, when you are putting together costumes, you want to do it as cheaply as possible.
I started out with a 0.49 cent metal ring, some sparkly pipe cleaners which were less than a dollar, a roll of dollar store ribbon and sequins, and some gold Christmas ribbon mesh which was about $1.50. So all in all, I spent less than $5.00 on supplies for this crown.
I cut out the floral shapes from both of the ribbons and coloured the white ribbon with alcohol inks. I wasn't too precise since they were going to be layered and smushed.
I constructed the crown by wrapping the sparkly pipe cleaners around the metal ring and by making a number of loops to form the foundation for attaching the flowers.
The flower centers were made with the sparkly pipe cleaners and the sequins. I used a hot glue gun to put a dollop of glue on my craft mat. I, then, squished and formed the flowers to give them dimension and then glue gunned the centers to the flowers. The flowers were then glued to a gold ribbon mesh flower to give them a bit more interest.
A few glittery leaves, some dangling bling and a heart shaped rhinestone finish off the crown. It is surprisingly stable considering it is just made out of pipe cleaners, a metal ring and glue from a glue gun.
I even had my lovely model try it on this morning. It would certainly work for a fairy princess crown.
Now we just need to have an occasion to wear it.





1 comment:
How creative you are. I would have never thought of making a flowered crown.
Take a peek at my Tattered Floral entries:
Rose Box - http://eridoodle.blogspot.com/2013/03/tattered-florals-vintage-rose-box.html
and
Lunch Bag rose - http://eridoodle.blogspot.com/2013/02/tim-holtz-tattered-florals-die-challenge.html
Best of luck in the Tim Holtz Tattered Florals challenge.
-Pam
Post a Comment