Sunday, August 25, 2013

Recapturing an Old Interest

Over the years I have tried my hand at a lot of different crafts, everything from needlework and papercrafts to pottery and jewelry making.  I find that my interest in a craft tends to go in waves. I will concentrate one and when mojo fails, I will try my hand as something else.

Lately, my interest in jewelry making has been rekindled.  I have been making simple earrings and looking into various types of wire work and chain mail.  I recently picked up a Laliberi earring kit to put together.  It was a fairly quick and easy kit.  One thing I ended up changing out was the earring hooks due to the fact that I snapped the loop off of one of them while trying to open it up.  I find that the earring hooks in these kits are made from too soft a metal and it is better to replace them with a better quality hook.


I like the look of the frosted acrylic flowers in the jewelry that have been coming out recently.  It was the main reason that I picked up this kit.

I have also been interested in how to make some of the chain mail jewelry.  I noticed a bird in cage bracelet when I was last at the bead shop which I was curious about.  After a quick internet search, I realized that it wasn't difficult to do and this is what I made this morning before the kiddos woke up.


The most difficult part of making the bracelet was getting that first bead in the cage and getting it to stay there when you started the second.  Once I figure that out, it was easy peasy.  I need to change the clasp out since this is the only that I had in my stash.  It doesn't quite match the colours of the metal links but it will do until I get a new clasp.

All in all a fairly productive Sunday morning.  I can see more jewelry being made....maybe some Christmas presents.

Have a good Sunday.

No comments: