Sunday, February 17, 2013

Do I really need a title?

This is the question that I ask every time I do up a layout.  Do I really need to have a title?  Must I label the layout or just let it speak for itself?  Is it just a symptom of my laziness or is it just a desire not to confine the subject of the layout to words? More often than not, I will leave a title off of a layout.  Sometimes, it is a difficulty thinking of a title and other times, I just don't want a title. 

When it comes to journalling, I often will avoid it and just put in the basics -- who, when and maybe where.  I find that the story telling that many people are trying to accomplish with scrapbooking is the least attractive part of scrapbooking for me.  I have come to terms with the fact that I am really not a story teller.  I leave that to my significant other who is the writer.  For me, it is the visuals.  I am all about the visuals.

This layout is a classic example.  There is no title, no journalling and yet it is one of my favourite picture of my husband and his mother.  The photo was taken a few years ago at the Beef Producer's barbeque when we were visiting the farm.  There was really no story behind it other than the fact that I made them pose for a photo.

Materials used:  Bazzill cardstock, Basic Grey pattern paper, Lily Bee Designs pattern paper, Maya Road velvet flowers, stick pins and chipboard, Prima flowers, Kaiser Craft stickers and bling, Jenni Bowlin Acrylic Paint dauber, Distress stain, Pink Paislee rub ons, Teresa Collins stamp, and MME patter paper.

Does it need a story?  No.  Does it need an explanation?  Maybe.  Does it need more than just the basic context?  Probably not.  In this case, I have put the info about the picture on the back of the layout so if anyone wants to know who, what, where and when, it is there but I don't think it needs to be on the front.

Scrapbooking is a very personal process and there is no right or wrong way.  For me, it is about playing with pretty paper, having fun and creating something that is visually attractive.  For others, it is about preserving memories and the story of their lives.  To each, their own.

As for Tim Holtz's February Tag, I have just finished cleaning off my workspace and digging through my supplies looking for the perfect stamp to use.  I am hoping with this being the long weekend that I might get it finished either today or tomorrow.

Happy Sunday.

No comments: